From fatfreevegan.com Susan’s Dirty Little Secret Soup
- 5-6 cups vegetable broth (I use Imagine No-Chicken)
- 1 16-ounce can diced tomatoes
- 2 16-ounce cans beans, rinsed and drained (I usually use 1 Great Northern and 1 Kidney Bean)
- 2 1-pound bags of frozen vegetables (my favorites are California Blend [cauliflower, broccoli, and carrots] and Italian Blend [zucchini, Italian green beans, broccoli, red pepper])
- 4 cloves minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 1/2 teaspoons oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme
- a shake or two of hot pepper sauce (Tabasco)
- black pepper and salt to taste
- OPTIONAL: 1/2 cup small pasta OR 2 cups diced potatoes OR 1 cup frozen corn or other starchy vegetable OR 1/2 cup of quick-cooking grain (pearled barley, millet, or quinoa) or cooked rice
- Put 5 cups of vegetable broth and all remaining ingredients into a large pot and cook until vegetables are done, about 20-30 minutes. If the soup seems too thick, add more broth. Taste and adjust seasonings before serving.
- This can also be made with 2 pounds of whatever fresh vegetables you have in the house, as in the photo above which includes zucchini, cauliflower, and kale.
Cooking time (duration):30
Number of servings (yield): 8
The nutritional breakdown will vary depending on the ingredients you use. Nutrition (per serving) without optional starch and using Imagine No-Chicken Broth and California Blend Vegetables: 146 calories, 4 calories from fat, <1g total fat, 0mg cholesterol, 777.8mg sodium, 295.5mg potassium, 23.2g carbohydrates, 6.5g fiber, 5.8g sugar, 8.1g protein, 3.6 points. 1/2 cup of macaroni adds 24 calories per serving and 2 cups diced potatoes add 40.